Sunday, June 6, 2010

What is Literacy?


The hierarchy of literacy's based on Ch. 1 in TDC is computer literacy as the most basic, next comes information literacy and then integration literacy. Computer literacy is just knowing how to operate a computer. Information literacy is just knowing how to use, analyze and evaluate the knowledge retrieved. Integration literacy is knowing how use the knowledge of technology in order to teach students and further their knowledge and capabilities.

21st century literacy is not being buried in physical books, but surrounded by digital books, the internet, and other Web 2.0 technologies. The 21st century learner is far different from the 20th century learner, they are digital natives and they crave and need to use technologies in order to grow as a learner and person. Literacy of the future will integrate technologies into teaching and learning. Web 2.0 will become Web 3.0 and technologies will grow and students will continue to learn and out smart their teachers.

2 comments:

  1. As much as have embraced digital books I still like the feel of paper, especially if I'm doing research and flipping back and forth endlessly. I like to have both options going on at the same time, a digital text to cut and paste and a printed copy to scribble on. I guess I have one foot in each century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am exactly the same way Wayne!! I do not enjoy reading on the computer, because it hurts my eyes and scrolling back and forth can be a bit annoying. However, the Diigo tool will not help with online research, and when I have articles to read that are 20+ pages long!

    ReplyDelete